Monday, October 25, 2010

Starting Over

I typically feel a little lost after a big race, particularly one like the Oil Creek 100 that I am thinking about constantly, and my opinion or attention is constantly required.  I go from getting somewhere around 20+ emails a day to getting a few pieces of junk mail.  While the lack of stress is nice, the feeling of being needed and, well, "important" is now gone.  To counteract that this year, I have decided to throw myself full force into training for next year's race.  My goal is to be in peak condition by the Oil Creek race next year, so I can attempt and conquer the 100K.

For those of you who know me, you know that I've lost a crazy amount of weight, mostly through running.  I've accepted the fact that I'll always have "loose skin" because I lost so much so fast that it is almost like I deflated.  I've also accepted the fact that I'll always have big legs.  However, my goal is to get stronger.  I can still be strong and successful, big legs, loose skin, whatever.  I'm going to commit to going to the gym at least three days a week to lift, particularly throughout the winter when it's easy to get lazy.  I need to do some research and find some great routines that will get me ripped!

I also plan to commit to running at least five days a week.  I think my problem before was that I always ran for distance.  I need to mix it up a little... do some hill days and some speedwork days.  I'm even going to think about doing some days on the track.

Essentially, I want a purpose for the things I'm planning to do this year.  A lot of my successes as an athlete have been accidental.  I never really knew what I was doing, but I did it anyway.  I have recognized that to complete the 100K and feel good afterwards, I need to commit to running and fitness in a whole new way.  Today was day one and I'm feeling really optimistic.  Gotta keep this going!

No comments:

Post a Comment